and Graduation Learning Outcomes
Inspired by the Gospel of Jesus Christ and empowered by a faith that is living, conscious and active, Junípero Serra is a Catholic college preparatory dedicated to the holistic formation of our students. Our community supports students in their journey towards becoming men of faith, wisdom, service, community and leadership. We seek to develop the gifts and talents of each student in an environment of excellence and mutual respect.
Guided by our mission and emboldened by the belief that every student is created in the image and likeness of God, the Junípero Serra community is committed to develop men who embrace:
Students are called to reflect on their relationship with God and demonstrate growth in personal spirituality, by:
- Making healthy, moral, and ethical choices based on Gospel values
- Understanding the Catholic faith and the role of the Church in the world
- Recognizing the relationship between mind, body and spirit
- Identifying and using their gifts for service to the world
Students are challenged to rigorous academic study in the pursuit of truth, by:
- Developing critical thinking as a habit of mind
- Exhibiting innovation, creativity and an appreciation of the arts
- Communicating effectively through listening, speaking and writing
- Using technology to enhance learning, productivity and creativity
- Demonstrating core knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in college and become life long learners
Students are called to use the wisdom of the Gospel to evaluate the values of contemporary culture and promote social justice, by:
- Advocating for human dignity and a respect for life
- Serving family, school and the larger community
- Demonstrating care for the environment as stewards of God's creation
- Identifying with those suffering from injustice and working towards change
Students are welcomed into the community of Serra that promotes a spirit of brotherhood, collaboration and integrity in human relationships, by:
- Reflecting on life lessons through participation in the total Serra program, including academics, athletics, the arts, campus ministry and co-curricular activities
- Demonstrating interpersonal skills for healthy social relationships
- Resolving conflict through effective social skills
- Recognizing our common humanity in the traditions, cultures and people of the world
Students are called to model courageous leadership based on Jesus' example of service, by:
- Embracing an openness to change and a willingness to take risks
- Demonstrating effective decision making and problem-solving
- Using emotional and social skills to collaborate and build teamwork
- Taking responsibility for their own actions and the welfare of others
Empowered by parents, the primary educators of their children, and the Archdiocese of San Francisco, Junípero Serra High School is a Catholic school participating in the educational ministry of the Church. Junípero Serra has the responsibility to provide an integrated ministry through the celebration of Word and Sacrament, the building of community and the promotion of service to the world in which we live.
At Junípero Serra High School, the educational process, grounded in the Catholic tradition, affirms the dignity of the human person. The unique gifts and talents of each Junípero Serra students are developed in two complementary ways:
First, through the fostering of intellectual capabilities, artistic creativity and physical skills; and secondly, through the nurturing of spiritual, moral, psychological and social growth.
Through an integration of faith, life and culture, each student is encouraged to look critically at the diversity and challenges of our society and to make reasonable choices based on the Gospel values of justice and compassion.
Consistent with our mission statement, the Serra community supports students in their journey towards becoming men of faith, wisdom, service, community and leadership. Like our patron Blessed Junipero Serra, we seek to find Christ in and bring Christ to the people with whom we live, work and serve.