welcome to the John L. Zoph Library
The John L. Zoph Library was named in honor of Reverend John L. Zoph (1908-2002).
On campus, we provide a fully networked, student-centered learning environment that models the school environment of academic excellence and mutual respect. Our learning community has access to a quality collection of print and electronic information resources that support the school curriculum. The library staff is available during and after school hours for reference help as well as group and individual instruction.
Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Our virtual library is always open. From our library home page, the school learning community can access our online catalog, research databases, and links to many helpful research tools. For library policies and procedures, click here.
Ms. Susan Cordes, Librarian Email by clicking here
Ms. Laura Praszker, Library Assistant Email by clicking here
Ms. Linda Williams, Library Assistant Email by clicking here
In keeping with the school's mission and graduation learning outcomes, the John L. Zoph Library program encourages a spirit of inquiry and positive attitudes for life-long learning. The Library's mission is to foster literacy and critical thinking skills; to support the curriculum by providing physical and intellectual access to current, adequate and appropriate information resources; and to ensure that all members of the learning community become efficient, effective, and ethical users of ideas and information.
This mission is accomplished, with proper funding and resources, by the library staff in collaboration with the Junipero Serra High School community by:
- implementing an educationally effective library program, integrated in the school's learning program through collaborative planning with teachers;
- providing physical and intellectual access to the most current materials and technology appropriate to the specific needs of the school community;
- offering assistance to members of the staff by analyzing needs and providing guidance in the choice and application of media resources;
- developing learning experiences in collaboration with classroom teachers which will require individual students to access information through print and electronic media and provide opportunities for critical and creative thinking;
- stimulating interest in reading and appreciation of literature through leisure reading and free choice; and by creating an environment that will instill in students a desire for the life-long use of libraries for academic, occupational, and recreational pursuits.
We envision a school library that functions as a critical and central component of the total education program at Junipero Serra High School. We believe that at the heart of a successful school library program is the teaching of effective learning strategies and information literacy skills. Furthermore, we believe that the ability to find, evaluate and use information, information literacy, is the keystone of lifelong learning.