Serra's International Student Progam
Welcomes Young Men from Around the Globe
Once a Padre, always a Padre. The spirit behind this statement distinguishes Junípero Serra High School from all others. Serra is a community of parents, teachers, staff and alumni who are dedicated to providing the best high school experience possible for young men. We encourage international students to apply to our International Student Program and become a part of the Serra family.
Located in the heart of the San Francisco Peninsula, San Francisco and Silicon Valley, our school is much more than an outstanding Catholic college preparatory school for young men. It’s a place where classmates become brothers, teachers become mentors and ordinary moments become extraordinary experiences. Each student is valued and knows that he belongs.
Serra offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum, which includes a rich diversity of classes and an extensive array of AP and Honors courses. Serra’s curriculum ensures that all of our graduates meet University of California and California State University requirements. Our AP pass rate is far above the national average, and 99 percent of our graduates go on to college.
Our international students will meet classmates, teachers and staff who will help them to explore their talents and achieve success in a variety of places—academics, the arts, athletics, clubs and Christian service—all in the context of our core values of Faith, Wisdom, Service, Leadership and Community. Most important, Serra teachers model values that inspire our young Padres to become confident men who will make a difference in the 21st century.
Serra welcomes young men from around the globe to apply for 9th, 10th or 11th grade with the intention of graduating from Junípero Serra High School. A well-qualified international applicant is a young man who has a:
- strong record of academic achievement
- high degree of proficiency in reading, writing and speaking English
- keen interest in immersing himself in the Serra High School community and the American culture
- genuine desire to live and engage with an American host family
The International Student Admissions Process
Applications for Serra’s International Student Program will be accepted on a rolling basis until the prospective class is full. To initiate the admissions process, applicants must submit the following documents to Serra’s International Student Program Director:
- International Student Application
- Recommendations from two teachers (math and English preferred)
- Official academic transcripts representing the student’s three most recent years of school; transcripts must have an English translation
- Official TOEFL Score Report - Please note: Your application cannot be processed until your TOEFL Score Report has been submitted.
Applicant's Grade Level Minimum Score Requirement
9th Grade 75 (iBT)
10th/11th Grade 80 (iBT)
- Copy of current passport
- Non-refundable application fee of $200
Supporting documents can be emailed in PDF format by clicking here. You also can send documents by traditional mail to:
Ms. Keticia Danish, International Student Program Director
Junípero Serra High School
451 West 20th Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94403-1385
Upon receipt and review of the completed application and supporting documents, the program director will contact the applicant directly to set up an interview through SKYPE, by telephone, or in person.
Students who are accepted to Junípero Serra High School will be required to secure their places with a non-refundable deposit of $5,000 and provide a copy of their F-1 Student Visa before admission can be finalized. (Serra will help the student secure the I-20 through the San Francisco Archdiocese.)
Tuition and Costs
Annual tuition for Junípero Serra High School’s International Student Program is $48,500 for the 2012-2013 school year. The cost includes:
- The Home Stay Program placement with a Serra family for the 10-month school year
- Medical insurance while enrolled in Serra’s international program
- A full schedule of college preparatory classes, including honors and AP courses
- Annual yearbook, lock for locker, graduation fees
- A designated counselor who will provide academic support, mentoring and advocacy for students
- The International Student Program Director, who will provide ongoing support on campus and for Home Stay families
Students will be introduced to life as a Padre with a two-week summer orientation on campus. The week’s events will include:
- Intensive English imersion program
- campus tours
- the acquisition of textbooks
- a review of the school’s rules, policies, and traditions
- a cultural exchange event with Serra students, staff members and host families
- local area excursions to San Francisco, Silicon Valley and other points of interest
- an opportunity to meet with “big brothers” who will welcome the students to Serra and help them to acclimate to their new school
- social activities designed to introduce Serra’s international students to other international students attending our sister schools, Notre Dame High School in Belmont and Mercy High School in Burlingame
Home Stay Program
We believe that a quality international program is one that places our international students in the homes of Serra families, where the young men will have the support and warmth only a family environment can provide. Both the visiting student and the Serra family will embark on an unparalleled, enriching experience – one that will create relationships that will last a lifetime. Host families will encourage the continued use of English skills, provide academic and social guidance, and generally support the student as he immerses into the American culture. International students will be provided with all meals and a private room in the family home. The host family will receive an annual stipend, which is covered in the cost of tuition.
Once a student has been accepted into Serra’s program, the International Student Program director will work to place him with a host family and provide ongoing support for the student and his family over the course of the school year.
For More Information
You can learn more about all aspects of Junípero Serra High School by perusing our website. For additional information about our International Student Program, please contact the International Student Program Director Keticia Danish by phone at 650-345-8207 ext. 565 or by email.