Junipero Serra High School is a Catholic college preparatory for boys. Located in San Mateo, in the heart of the San Francisco Peninsula, Serra’s legacy spans nearly 75 years of excellence in Catholic education. A rich and rigorous academic curriculum, a wide range of extracurricular activities, and an environment of support, compassion, and mutual respect are hallmarks of Serra. Serra’s faculty and staff are deeply committed to mentoring their students, providing a framework for young men to grow in faith, intellect and character.
The Facilities Director provides professional leadership and assistance in the stewardship of the physical plant and facilities of Junipero Serra High School.
- Oversees the maintenance, upkeep and cleaning of all school buildings and grounds, ensuring daily that the facilities are both visually and functionally clean and safe.
- Receives requests for maintenance, repair and cleaning mainly via e-mail.
- Coordinates, prioritizes, schedules and supervises all maintenance, repair and cleaning services according to protocols.
- Supervises school maintenance and custodial workers in consultation with the CFO.
- Provides initial and ongoing orientation and training of maintenance/custodial workers including requirements for safety and security.
- Meets regularly with the maintenance and custodial staff for coordination of duties.
- Arranges for maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment by outside contractors when necessary in consultation with the CFO.
- Manages and directs vendors, outside service workers and small project contractors; developing positive relationships.
- Assists the CFO with capital project supervision.
- Serves on the Serra Emergency Response Team (SERT) in conjunction with the Assistant Principal for Student Life (school safety officer) and participates in emergency preparedness planning for the school, helping to ensure that adequate emergency response equipment and improvements are in place.
- Oversees maintenance of security equipment including fire control, lighting, grounds safety, temporary electrical power equipment; security cameras, alarms, etc.
- Manages space use and oversees cleaning in all common areas of the school.
- Documents processes and procedures for cleaning and maintenance in the Maintenance Manual.
- Oversees and schedules holiday and summer cleaning and maintenance.
- Attends weekly meetings of the Operations Team in conjunction with the Assistant Principal for Student Life and other administrators for coordination of custodial services for various student events and activities as scheduled through the Office of the Student Principal for Student Life including set-up and take down of equipment and furniture as needed for all events taking place in the school buildings or on school grounds.
- Communicates with the Operations Team and school administration to ensure that repairs, maintenance and set-up are accomplished with minimal impact to school operations.
- Performs hands-on preventive maintenance and repair of physical plant and pool equipment.
- In consultation with the CFO and Buildings and Grounds Committee of the Advisory Board of Regents.
- Works with government agencies concerned with building and equipment safety and requirements.
- Assists in obtaining maintenance for all school-owned vehicles from local vendors in conjunction with the Director of Transportation and the CFO.
- Serves on an on-call basis after hours for response to facilities emergencies and provides for back-up response when absent from the area.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field of educational facilities management.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the CFO.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and print communications skills, personal initiative, and organizational skills to support Advancement team in a variety of office venues
- Strong proofreading skills
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking English
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Prior work experience in a school environment
- Based on workload, extensive outdoor exposure and indoor office.
- Office setting with phones, computer work, vendor contact, drop-ins and other communications.
- Exposure the outdoors climates, which may include exposure to severe weather, noise, dust, and air contaminants.
- Employees in this position must have/be able to:
- Must be able to travel safely and comfortably across campus for a variety of events and meetings, often several in a work day
- Observe safe lifting and carrying practices.
- Position requires sitting, prolonged standing, walking, twisting, turning, reaching, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement, fine coordination when using small hand tools and carrying and climbing ladders.
- The ability to lift, carry and push tools and equipment weighing up to 75 pounds and assisted combined 150 pounds.
- Work may also be required to perform other duties as specified or directed by supervisor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Facilities Planning, Architecture, Engineering or a closely related field.
- Four (4) years of increasingly responsible and successful experience in facility planning, governmental accounting, construction or related experience, preferably in a school district or other public entity.
- Demonstrated project management skills and abilities.
- Demonstrated high level of successful customer service.
Licenses or Certificates Needed:
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License. Candidates must provide (and maintain) official motor vehicle driving record, and proof of compliance with safe driving standards.
- Swimming Pool Operator’s License preferred.
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.