AB Block Schedule
Our AB Block schedule was designed with optimum learning in mind. Class periods that are 80-minutes enable our teachers to engage students in a variety of learning activities and dive into course material in greater depth. The typical class includes activities that incorporate group work, direct instruction, guided lectures and Socratic Circles. Ten-minute passing periods allow students to interact socially with each other and decompress between classes. Students have told us that Serra’s schedule actually reduces the stress they experienced in their middle-school schedules.
B-day schedules are used to accomplish a range of needs:
- We use the B-a.m. Activity Schedule for Masses, student assemblies, club meetings, and office hours. Office hours are scheduled approximately 10 times per semester. They provide students with an opportunity to get extra help from teachers and make up missed lab tests and other assignments. Counselors conduct college planning seminars during selected office hours so that they can meet with groups of students without compromising class time.
- We use the B-Late Start Schedule for faculty meetings and other events on campus where most students are not required to be present.
- We use the B-Minimum Day Schedule on days when students do not need to be on campus in the afternoon, such as faculty meetings for professional development or days when sports teams have early dismissals for competition in the WCAL. Because this time is factored into the schedule, class time is not lost.
- The B-p.m. Activity Schedule is typically used on days of rallies or other events when students are released as soon as the afternoon event is complete.
- Homeroom meetings are held on Wednesday or Thursday of each week. Counselors often use this time to visit their groups of students.
The most commonly used schedules appear below.
*Zero period meets Monday-Thursday
** Homeroom will typically meet on AM & PM Act Days B-AM Adv.
***Students dismissed immediately following the activity.
****All announcement times are in bold. Please note that announcements will not be read on minimum days.
All-Seven Class Schedule for 2022-2023
40 minute classes
Zero period will not meet
5 minute passing
35 minute lunch
20 minute break after 2nd
|2nd + annc
6A: Lower Division
LD Class 11:40-12:20
LD Lunch 12:25-1:00
6B: Upper Division
UD Lunch 11:40-12:15
UD Class 12:20-1:00