Counseling and Guidance
Serra counselors guide the Padres through all four years on a college path, helping them to determine which colleges best fit their needs. Kieren found his perfect fit at Loyola Marymount University, where he is majoring in psychology. Although the college process itself is complex and requires thoughtful planning, Kieren was able to make a confident decision because of the guidance he received at Serra.
(father of Kieren Kishnani '19)
Serra counselors see themselves as student advocates who, in partnership with parents and faculty, help our Padres to achieve their personal and academic goals and successfully navigate their high school journey.
Preparing Padres for the road ahead
It’s no secret that planning for college can be stressful for students and their families. In an era when many parents feel the need to hire expensive private college counselors, it’s important to know that Serra’s counseling team has the expertise and extensive resources to expertly shepherd our Padres through the college planning and application process. The results speak volumes about the counseling team’s success: Every year, 99 to 100 percent of Serra students matriculate to the colleges that best suit their academic and career interests, consistently earning millions of dollars in college scholarships. For the class of 2020, that number was $22 million.
of Serra graduates matriculate to college
Focusing on student well-being in the here and now
The future looks brightest when students can see a clear path forward. Recognizing that the high school years can sometimes dish up both personal and academic challenges for the young men, our counselors are equipped to provide social-emotional support and resources our students need, and the academic intervention and advocacy that will help them to course correct. The counseling team also offers support groups each school year. One topic addresses students’ social interaction and how to successfully engage in the Serra community; others are flexible, chosen in response to students’ needs and interests. Counselors are always available to meet with students and parents as requested or needed.
- What do the boys do each year at Serra to prepare for college?
- Do counselors help the boys to select colleges?
- How soon should high school students start looking at colleges?
- Do counselors help Serra students with their college application forms?
- Should students take both the SAT and the ACT, and how many times?
- How important is the college essay/personal statement? Do students write it in their English classes? Do counselors help them?
- Many parents feel that the competitive nature of the application process is over the top. How do you keep our Padres from becoming overwhelmed? What is your advice to students and to parents?
- Why is college preparation so important today? How has the application process changed in the last five to 10 years.
Serra students use Naviance, an online, comprehensive college, career and life readiness solution, as the central tool for college research and planning.
Students are introduced to Naviance during their freshman year; parents also receive access to the system. Over the course of four years, our Padres utilize the wide variety of features in Naviance beginning with basic search tools and culminating in the organization of their college applications during senior year. Naviance also serves as a communications platform, allowing counselors to share pertinent information with students and their parents throughout the school year.