Serra students are required to bring a portable internet access device (Mac or PC laptop, newer Chromebook) to school daily. The program, commonly referred to as BYOD (bring your own device), allows students to access internet resources as needed on campus and in classroom curriculum. The BYOD model holds particular advantages for students—not only does the program respond to personal device preferences of students and their families, it also replicates the environment that students will encounter in their college classrooms.
BYOD Program FAQs
- What is a BYOD Program?
- If every student has his own device, does this mean he will no longer use paper, pencils and books?
- What is G Suite for Education
- Can we use our existing laptop/device, or do we need to purchase one?
- Are some devices better than others for classroom use?
- What about iPads?
- What if the battery runs out during school?
- What if the device breaks and needs to be repaired, or becomes inoperable due to software or hardware failure?
- Will the school loan students devices to use, if theirs are being repaired?
- Will Serra faculty members teach students how to use, maintain and update their devices?
- Will Serra provide Internet filtering?
- Who should I contact if I have technical questions about portable devices, or device recommendations at Serra?
Portable Device Minimum Requirements
- 7 hour minimum battery life*
- 7 inches minimum screen size
- Headphone jack
- Microphone (built-in or external)
- Camera (built-in or external)
- Ability to access wireless internet on campus
- Ability to run Google Chrome browser
- Ability to access Google Mail / Google Drive / Google Sites
- Ability to print to home and school printers
- For Windows and Apple laptops minimum operating system (OS)
a. Windows 7 SP1 minimum for Windows laptop computers
b. OS X 10.10 Yosemite minimum for Apple laptop computers
c. iOS 10 minimum for iPad/iPad Mini
- For any Windows, Mac, or Android based device: verified auto-updating Anti-Virus, such as Avast Anti-Virus (free)
If necessary, additional changeable batteries are acceptable for laptops to meet the 7 hour minimum
NOTE: Some classes may have additional minimum requirements. Please check specific course details
- Protective cover/case
- External keyboard
- Additional power adapter (one for home / one for travel)
- Repair/Replacement/Insurance Policy